Ninja Turtle 3D Character Study
Being a child of the early 90s, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is deeply embedded in my psyche.
So I channeled this into another fun 3d character study. I’ve only had time to finish one turtle so far.
Donatello is the best turtle, don’t @ me.
Some things I wanted to explore:
• Character Design – I wanted to illustrate the character myself
• Cartoony rigs – Lots of squash / stretch / exaggerated forms
• Animation! – I wanted to push my comfort level with a challenging shot
• Smears + Duplicates – Graphical interpretations of motion blur
• Comic Book Style – Half tones, energy lines, etc.
Created in C4D // Rendered with Redshift // Finished in After Effects
I illustrated Donatello in vector, then painted in the shading/volume in Photoshop, before modelling him in C4D.
Early on, I explored a 2d cel-shaded look before deciding on the more realistic rendering style.